Spider veins are small blood vessels that have become dilated and appear on the surface of the skin. They are most commonly found on the legs but can appear anywhere on the body, including the face, breasts, and hands. These dilated blood vessels are usually flat and red, and look like a spider web or a tree with branches. They appear as thin, threadlike lines or clusters that are pink, red, blue, or purple in color.
Spider veins are generally harmless, but if they bother you, come in and let us help you to get rid of them!
Sclerotherapy is a procedure used to treat and eliminate larger spider veins and smaller blood vessels. A tiny needle is used to inject an Asclera solution into the vessel which causes them to immediately shrink, and dissolve. Sclerotherapy is FDA approved in the USA and has been used in the treatment of veins for over 50 years.
Things to Know
- It is performed in the office during a routine office visit
- No anesthesia is necessary
- It is usually painless or a few seconds of mild burning from the solution (like a mosquito bite)
- No pre-treatment preparation
- Coban wrap needs to be left on for 24 hours
- Patients can resume normal activity
- No post-treatment scarring
- Effective treatment for spider veins and reticular veins
- Most patients require at least two sessions of sclerotherapy