A scar is a natural healing process after an injury. We offer several treatment methods to help reduce size and appearance of scars.
There are several types of scars.
- Keloid Scars – raised scars that extend beyond the boundaries of the original injury.
- Contracture Scars – common after a burn injury
- Hypertrophic Scars – Raised scars that do not go beyond the boundary of the injury
- Acne Scars – these come in several shapes and sizes
- Stretch Marks – a form of scar caused by rapid growth
Treatments for scars
Dr. Scheel and her PAs will be able to design a customized scar treatment program for you. Often various methods are used to improve scar appearance and treatments may take several months depending on thickness and location of scar. The various methods we utilize include prescriptions, CO2 laser, IPL, Fractionated Light, Steroid Injections, and Surgical Scar Revision if necessary.
Scar Treatment Options:
- Prescriptions- You may be prescribed a scar treatment cream containing retinol or lightening creams to lighten a dark scar
- IPL- intense pulsed light treatmentsmay be used to help reduce redness or brown hyperpigmentation in a scar.
- Steroid Injections-Raised scars may benefit from steroid injections and silicone gel pads to flatten them.
- CO2/Fractionated light- All scars, including surgical scars, acne scars, stretch marks, and raised scars benefit from laser treatments, both ablative and non-ablative.
- Surgical Scar Revision- For a very unsightly scar the best option may be to surgically remove the scar, a procedure known as scar revision.
All of these treatment options are available at Dr. Monica Scheel Dermatology. If you are interested in treating a scar please make an appointment with a medical provider for a consultation.
From Our Patients
I am absolutely thrilled with the results of my cosmetic procedures. I am constantly getting compliments on how great my skin looks.
After twenty-four years of daily acne outbreaks and scarring on my face, I now have had a clear complexion for four months! I am beyond thrilled!