Pre/Post instructions for many of the procedures that we perform are listed below:
Please refrain from having the following procedures at least two weeks prior to your filler appointment or your appointment must be rescheduled.
- Dental work (e.g., cleanings, fillers, etc.)
- Vaccinations (incl. Flu shots, and Shingles)
Please inform us if you have had any of the following a week before your filler appointment; depending on the severity, you may need to reschedule your appointment.
- Cold or Flu
- Sinus Infection
- Aspirin, Ibuprofen, or Fish Oil
- Avoid using aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (e.g., Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve), St. John’s Wort, Gingko Biloba, Vitamin E, or Fish Oil (Omega 3’s) supplements for one week before treatment. These may increase the risk of bruising or bleeding at the injection site. Tylenol is okay to use if effective and tolerated.
- Avoid Alcohol 24 hours before the appointment, and 24 hours after treatment.
- Take Arnica (available at our office) to help reduce bruising and swelling. It’s best to start the Arnica two days before the procedure (three (3) pellets UNDER TONGUE every eight hours). Avoid eating or drinking 15 minutes before and after taking pellets for best absorption. We will give you Arnica in the office before your treatment and will have you continue for two days after treatment.
- Eat pineapple daily or take bromelain tablets (available in the vitamin section at the health food store) starting one week before your treatment and continue until receiving your treatment.
- Please tell your doctor if you have experienced cold sores in the past. If injecting around the lip’s, medication may be prescribed or administered at the time of treatment to prevent a flare.
- IMPORTANT: Do not schedule a massage, or participate in rigorous exercise activities, lift heavy items or use a snorkeling mask for 72 hours after treatment.
- IMPORTANT: Do not FLY for 72 hours after treatment.
- IMPORTANT: Do not have any dental procedures for two weeks after treatment.
- There may be redness, swelling or bruising for approximately 24 hours or up to one week following your treatment (be sure you don’t have special events planned for that time frame).
- To reduce pain and swelling, apply cold compress 10 minutes every hour (while awake) on the day of treatment.
- Avoid touching the treated area within six hours following treatment. When numbing subsides you can gently wash the area with soap and water. It may be tender to touch.
- You may experience swelling in the treated area. Please consult with the doctor if it isn’t resolved within one week.
- If bruising does occur, take arnica pellets three times a day for five days.
- IMPORTANT: No make-up for 24 hours applied to treated areas.
- IMPORTANT: Do not apply lipstick or Chapstick for 24 hours if your lips were treated. You may apply Vaseline, Aquaphor, or antibiotic ointment if they are dry.
- IMPORTANT: Avoid having a massage, vigorous exercise, lifting heavy items, or snorkeling activities for 72 hours after having fillers to decrease the chance of having a post–filler bruise. You can bruise up to 5 days following fillers.
- IMPORTANT: Avoid alcohol 24 hours after treatment.
- IMPORTANT: Do not fly for 72 hours after fillers.
- IMPORTANT: No dental procedures for immunizations for two weeks after receiving fillers.
- IMPORTANT: Sleep on your back, not on your face, as much as you can for at least one week following treatment.
If you experience increasing pain at the treatment site, please call our office immediately (808) 329-1146 or go to the emergency room.