Pre/Post instructions for many of the procedures that we perform are listed below:
- What to avoid: Avoid using aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aspirin, Aleve), St. John's Wort, Vitamin E or fish oil (Omega 3's) supplements for two weeks before treatment. These may increase the risk of bruising or bleeding at the injection site. Tylenol is okay to use if effective and tolerated. Avoid alcohol the night before treatment.
- What to do: Eat pineapple daily or take bromelain tablets (available in the vitamin section at the health food store) starting two weeks before your treatment and continue until receiving your treatment.
- Consider Arnica (available at our office) to help reduce Bruising. It's best to start the Arnica 1 week before the procedure (3 pellets UNDER TONGUE every 8 hours). Avoid eating/drinking 15 minutes prior and after taking pellets for best absorption.
- IMPORTANT: Do not schedule a massage, participate in rigorous exercise activities, lift heavy items, or use a snorkeling mask for 72 hours after fillers.
- Please tell your doctor if you have experienced cold sores in the past. If injecting around the lips medication may be prescribed or administered at the time of treatment to prevent a flare.
- There may be redness, swelling, or bruising for approximately 24 hours or up to one week following your treatment (be sure you don't have special events planned for that time frame).
- To reduce pain and swelling, apply cold compress 10 minutes every hour (while awake) on the day of treatment.
- Avoid touching the treated area within six hours following treatment. When numbing subsides, you can gently wash the area with soap and water. It may be tender to touch.
- You may experience swelling in the treated area. Please consult with the doctor if it isn't resolved within one week.
- If bruising does occur, take arnica pellets three times a day for five days.
- IMPORTANT: Avoid having a massage, vigorous exercise, lifting heavy items, or snorkeling activities for 72 hours after having fillers to decrease the chance of having a post-filler bruise, You can bruise up to five days following fillers.
- Sleep on your back, not on your face, as much as you can for at least one week following treatment.
- If you experience increasing pain at the treatment site, please call our office immediately or go to the emergency room.